Who created the earth?
Brigham Young said the following:
Journal of Discourses, 1:51; “Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken—HE is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do.”
Genesis 1:1; “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”
Any questions? I know I have some…
1. Our Father Adam. Take note they capitalized “Father “on purpose. The Church used to teach Adam and God were one and the same (D&C 27:11). They called this the “Adam-God Doctrine” and as you can see I used the phrase “used to”, meaning it was taught in the past, but not now. So why does their sacred canon still contain the old teachings they don’t believe anymore?
2. Adam brought Eve into the Garden of Eden. Where in the Bible does it say Adam came into the Garden with Eve? Scripture tells us God created the earth and then He created Adam (Genesis 2:7). This Mormon teaching makes it sound as if from out of nowhere Adam went waltzing onto the earth on his own doing.
3. Adam’s celestial body. Adam did not have a spirit or soul before God created him out of the dust of the earth. The Hebrew word for Adam is “aòdaòm “, meaning ruddy, a human being, common sort, person. In 1 Corinthians 15:44-47 we read that first we are from the earth and then we received a spirit or soul. Genesis 2:7 tells us God created Adam and then breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and Adam became a living soul.
4. Adam helped create the earth. The earth was already created by the time Adam shows up on the scene leaving it virtually impossible for him to have any part in the creation process.
5. Michael the Archangel. Where in the Bible does it say Adam is Michael the Archangel?
6. Ancient of Days. Where in the Bible does it say Adam is the Ancient of Days? This is how Daniel referred to God which meant He is everlasting. It literally means “one advanced in (of) days or God who forwards time or rules over it – Holman Bible Dictionary.
7. Adam is God. Clearly the Mormon people have since rejected this teaching, but sadly enough they haven’t denounced their beloved prophet, Brigham Young.
Don’t let the Mormon in your life tell you the Journal of Discourses were just some old books that have been dug up by the anti-Mormons.
The Journal of Discourses is still quoted from by leaders of the LDS Church even today. Members of the Church that lived during the time these sermons were given looked upon these teachings as the very word of God. Today they’ve been replaced with the monthly magazine publication known as the Ensign.