Ensign, “Valiant in the Testimony of Jesus,” May 1982 [April Conference issue], 62; “To possess a testimony of Jesus is to know that He voluntarily took upon Himself the sins of all mankind in the Garden of Gethsemane, which caused Him to suffer in both body and spirit and to bleed from every pore. All this He did so that we would not have to suffer if we would repent. (See D&C 19:16, 18.)” – Ezra Taft Benson
Romans 4:25; “Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.”
Ephesians 4:14; “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive.”
Hebrews 12:2; “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
Our Mormon reference today is one of the worst things they could’ve said about our Lord, and our list of questions/concerns are a few of the reasons why –
- 1.Anyone alive who’s heard of Jesus already has a testimony. This goes for a two year old who’s barely heard about Him, all the way to a learned scholar.
- 2.The Church is trying to redefine the word ‘testimony’ in a brazen attempt to control members by telling them their opinion of Jesus doesn’t count unless it’s approved by them.
- 3.They’ve knowingly lied about the location of where Jesus paid for the sins of man.
- 4.The Bible plainly tells us in Romans and Hebrews where Jesus spilt His blood for the redemption of mankind.
- 5.Paul tells us in Romans that Jesus was delivered for our offences. He wasn’t delivered to Gethsemane!
- 6.The Church made a very similar comment five years prior to this one in May 1997. You can read about it in yesterday’s Witnessing Tip of the Day May 9.
This is a great witnessing tool to share with the Mormon you know! I wouldn’t hesitate a moment to point out the unorthodox methods they go to in order to deceive people.
And lest we forget – please, also use this example in your prayers that God would shield those who are being lured into this church, and for the Mormon who’s being tricked into believing this is truth!
With Love in Christ;